Wednesday, March 18, 2009

落語(らくご) : 楽しい!^^

Before M-sensei returned back to Japan, she had introduced me to I-sensei. So now I'm continuing studying Japanese with I-sensei.

The other day, the Japanese lesson was about "Rakugo". During the lesson, I-sensei and I watched a rakugo in japanese using the internet. Actually, I did not understand a lot what the "Rakugo" teller was talking, but I got the idea and I understood the interesting part of it.^^

So, what is "Rakugo"?

Rakugo, らくご、or 落語 means literally "Fallen Words", is kind of japanese entertainmment, specifically, traditional entertainment. Where a talented storyteller set on a stage(called kouza 高座= high place) and start telling interesting stories to entertain people.
The story is either a traditional story or a story from storyeller imagination.
The storyteller(which called Rakugoka) changes his voice tone or pose to differ between characters.
Rakugo spread between people during the Edo-period(1603–1867) , but during that time it was known as 小話=short stories. The expression "Rakugo" started being used in the Meiji-period(1867–1912) and it came into common usage in the Shouwa-period(1926–1989).

More info in wikipedia here.^^

Maybe this type of entertainment looks similar to what was called "Hakawaty = حكواتي" in Arabic traditions, in the way the storyteller sit and what he use and how he speak, but the story type actually is different. The hakawaty stories usually talks about old warriors, like Antara = عنترة, and about their characteristics and their strength, but rakugo introduces more funny stories in different subjets.

The interseting thing about Rakugo also, that even if you see it many times you can still laugh, because the way the rakugoka speaks is really funny, and it makes me imagine the story as if I'm watching an anime!

I searched for rakugo on internet also, and I found many vedios, both in English and Japanese. I couldn't understand the rakugo in japanese completely, but I think it can be good study if I keep listening it many times. Like this I can improve my listening skills.

Here I like to introduce you a rakugo, in english, it is very interesting :) Please watch!






5 comments:

rua said...

so , u finished studying the 5levels in Jica , so what are u studying now?

momiji said...

After the 5 levels (25 lessons in the book Minna no nihongo I) there are another book called (Minna no nihongo II) which has lessons from 26 to 50. Unfortunately, it is not being taught in JICA.

You know about JLPT*? after finishing 25 lessons, that is 5 levels in jica, you will be able to pass level 4 exam of the JLPT.
After finishing 50 lessons you will be able to pass level 3 exam of JLPT.
K-sensei and T-sensei taught me minna no nihongo I, in JICA and JU.
S-sensei volunteered to teach me minna no nihongo II. And then she introduced me to N-sensei who volunteered to teach me a book called (Introduction to Intermediate Japanese), and another book called (New Approach Japanese Intermediate Course).

^-^(breathing)...

Before N-sensei went back to Japan, she introduced me to M-sensei who taught me (New Approach Japanese Pre-Advanced Course).

I haven't finished studying that book yet, now I-sensei is teaching me from it. This year I'm planning to take JLPT level 2 insha'allah.

Actually, N-sensei M-sensei and I-sensei are not teachers in JICA nor JU but there husbands work in Amman, and they taught me Japanese as volunteers. I don't know how to thank them all.T_T


*JLPT: Japanese Language Proficiency Test (nihongo nouryoku shiken), It is held every December in different countries around the world, unfortunately Jordan not among them. The nearest country to Jordan where you can take the exam is Egypt, or may be Turkey.
Until now, there are 4 levels for this exam:
Level 4: 25 lessons from "Minna no nihongo I" and 100 kanjis, will make you able to pass this exam.

Level 3: 50 levels from "Minna no nihongo", and 300 kanjis.
Of course you can study from other recommended books.
(I passed this exam \(^_^)/)

Level 2: To pass this exam you will need to study Intermediate Japanese Books, and memorizing about 1000 kanjis.TT
As you can notice there is a big jump between Level 3 & Level 2.

And finally, LEVEL 1!
Advanced Japanese Books, and 2000 kanjis, I think.

You can find more details in Wikipedia or in the Home page of the JLPT.

momiji said...

That was the longest comment in my life!!
I hope it will be helpful.^^

Biraru said...

Momiji san

It's not a long comment; it's a new topic :p
I read it before completing the original post :p
thanks for the information ^^
"As you can notice there is a big jump between Level 3 & Level 2." ... maybe that's why they made a new level between 2 & 3 ^^

about the original post:
lol.. omoshiroi ^^
日本のハカワーティ :p
thanks for the information & video .. I'll download it now to continue watching it.. it's really interesting ^^

momiji said...

日本のハカワーティ
he he, omoshiroi :)
Thanks for your comment.