Friday, June 6, 2008

Japanese Proverbs (1)

Every semester-end I have to do what we call "Ta3zeeleh" for my room. Especially, my book shelves. Because the situation of them become very unbelievable.
I thought about taking a picture to post it, but then I decided not to do that. Because it was "very hidoi"!! To describe this "hidoi"ness, I think it is better to say that cleaning and rearranging the books took 3 days every time I do that!
Well, the extreme-untidiness is not the only reason for that. Another reason is that when I arrange the books I browse every book, and sometimes I stay to read all the book before putting it in its place.

Anyway, as you can notice from the title, this post is not to talk about my bookshelf, nor my untidiness. Actually it's about some Japanese proverbs I "discovered" during the "cleaning" process.

Last year I was studying Japanese with N-sensei, in that time I asked her to teach me some Japanese proverbs. And she was giving me after each lesson a card with a proverb wrote on it. I was looking forward to read what is wrote on the card, and then pasting it on a special notebook I made, called "Nihon no Kotowaza" notebook. I was very happy to find it between tens of books, 「なつかしいなー」。。。

Learning proverbs was very useful, fun and wonderful! The useful part was learning new words from the proverb, and knowing how people were thinking. The fun part was when I was trying to find a similar-meaning Arabic proverb, and when "okashii" words come out. The wonderful part was when I noticed that there is an exactly the same meaning proverb in Arabic for some of them! The same words, the same meaning, and also the same way of use!

I like to share with you some of these proverbs, and if you know a more-meaningful Arabic proverb match with any of them please tell me^^

便りのないのは良い便り
It means when there are no news, that mean that the news are good. No bad news.
In Arabic: (I didn't find a suitable one for this!:(

安物買いの銭失い
It means: Buying cheap stuffs is loosing money
(الرخيص بروح كب) (I wonder if it is in Syrian accent?)
(الغالي سعره فيه)

雨降って地固まる
Every time the rain falls, the land become more tough.
I also remember this "kotowaza" from T-sensei's class. It was very interesting.
In Arabic: (ما تاخد صاحبك إلا بعد القتلة)

早起きは三文の得
Waking up early equals 3 pennis, means it is a little good.
In Arabic: (نم بكير فيق بكير شوف الصحة كيف بتصير)

猿も木から落ちる
Even monkeys fall from trees.
In Arabic: (لكل جواد كبوة و لكل عالم هفوة)

かわいい子には旅をさせよ
Make your cute kid travel around.
I didn't find a suitable sentence for this one also:(

備えあれば憂いなし
If there were preparations, then no need to worry.
(من جد وجد ومن سار على الدرب وصل) かな?

鉄は熱いうちに打て
Please notice here how much it is similar to the arabic one which says:
(دق الحديد وهو حامي)!!

笑う門には福来る
From the laughing family(or house) the happiness comes.
(اضحك تضحك لك الدنيا)

住めば都
The place where you live is your country.
(من عاشر القوم أربعين يوم صار منهم) かな?

急がば回れ
If you were in hurry return back.
(في العجلة الندامة وفي التأني السلامة)

目は口ほどにものを言う
The eyes talk like the mouth
(رب طرف أنطق من قول)

良薬は口に苦し
Good medicine is bitter for mouth.
(من طلب العلا سهر الليالي)

火のないところに煙は立たぬ
There is no smoke if there is no fire
(ما في دخان بدون نار)

Very interesting. isn't it?^^

つづく。。。

13 comments:

Qutaibah said...

your room like mine the things every where except in the wardrobe :D
waw sogoi
*of cource all proverbs matched
but I prefered
12 ,9 ,13,5
& maybe I can arranged them

Saemon 左衛門 said...

I'm looking for a kotowaza I once read that says something like 'still water becomes spoiled'. I can't seem to find it..

momiji said...

qutaiba-san thanks for the comment^^
saemon-san, i don't know this kotowaza, i googled about it also and couldn't find :(
N-sensei ni kiite mimashou!

Biraru said...

I don't think it will be more "hidoi" than my room ^^;

Usually I don't like to say proverbs in real life .. I don't even like to memorize them .. but I like to read Japanese proverbs for the first reason you mentioned .. because they are useful ^^

mmm .. in fact most of them are interesting .. specially (鉄は熱いうちに打て) .. it's very similar to the arabic one !
I also like (安物買いの銭失い) , (猿も木から落ちる) , (急がば回れ) and (良薬は口に苦し) ^^

つづく ? .. then I'm waiting for the second part with more omoshiroi kotowaza ^^

Saemon 左衛門 said...

found it!

流れる水は腐らない

Sounds more like normal sentence than a kotowaza..

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

It's amazing how sometimes Japanese expressions are same as Arabic ones in meaning and words! :)
how about this one 一石二鳥 ? :D 3a9forein b7ajar wa7ad.
Very identical ne!

There is one that I really like because it describes how helpless you are when u r super busy :
猫の手も借りたい
Which means even the cat that can do nothing would be helpful!
Our version is : mesh fadi a7ok rasi ==>my translation : 頭をかくひまもない!w
There's another one that involves mice,,it says something like : "Talk about tomorrow and the mice in the roof are laughing" = you never know what happens tomorrow

momiji said...

一石二鳥 and 猫の手も借りたい very interesting ^^
another Arabese one:大きくしたら大きくなる、小さくしたら小さくなる
(a little long)

ところで、このごろ「1レットルの涙」を見ています。とても悲しいですね。:’(

Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

えええ!見ました?
本当にとても悲しいドラマでした。泣くほど感動しました。
それでも、大好き~

Anonymous said...

oh hasna san its very nice proverbs and specially this
良薬は口に苦し
Good medicine is bitter for mouth.
(من طلب العلا سهر الليالي)
:) but i cant read it in nihon go :(

momiji said...

hana san, thanks for your comment!
this proverb is read:
りょうやく は くちに にがし
may be i should introduce you to rikai-chan! not a person, but a very powerful tool you can add to your internet browser, please check here

Biraru said...

こんにちは ^^
紅葉さんのBLOG LIST に問題がありますか?
俺のブログに『Summer Semester』のポストの後でポストを二つ書きました ^^;

momiji said...

へ!そうなんですか?
And I'm wondering why no one is updating his blog these days,
まったく!テクノロジも~~

Biraru said...

now the Blog list is working well .. sometimes the technology is strange :p